An essential object in an office is a printer. To print, make copies, send and receive faxes (yes, that’s still done) scan and digitize documents… The usual to do the job well. For each of these functions, there are scanners, printers, and copiers but… What if I told you that you can integrate everything in one place?
These are multifunction printers. Do you want to know what they are, how they work, and what benefits they will bring to your business projects? Find out below.
How does a multifunction printer work?
A multifunction printer is an output device and its operation changes depending on its type and model. However, if we focus on the technology it applies, they work like this:
Inkjet printer: It is ejecting hot drops of ink onto paper that is molded by a roller. It is the most popular and cheapest. However, cartridges are often expensive. The solution? Install a continuous ink system. They are refillable and their ink is cheaper.
Laser printer: This uses electrical charges and lasers through a photoconductive cylinder. The laser ionizes the area to be printed and then the toner containing the microscopic powder ink is attracted to the ionized area and sticks its particles to the paper so that the rollers fix the ink to the paper.
They are more expensive compared to inkjet, but they have a higher yield in a number of printed pages, which translates into greater profitability and long-term return on investment.
But… What is a multifunction printer? These output devices have more options than just printing, you can also:
- Scan and copy documents.
- Send and receive a fax.
- Software for photography. Allowing you to use photographic paper.
- Multiple paper trays for simultaneous printing.
- Print from a USB device or from your mobile wirelessly using wireless technology such as WiFi.
And many more that adapt to specific needs. However, a good multifunction printer has these as a base.
Types of multifunction printers
Each office is a different world and not all have the same needs. That’s why there are several types of multifunction printers to cover all bases:
All in one: These printers are desktop units, more intended for use at home. They are inexpensive and do their job of printing, scanning, and copying well.
Some models have photo software that organizes the images before printing, they usually include memory card readers and USB ports to print from there without using a computer. However, when it comes to heavy-duty work they leave a lot to be desired.
SOHO printers: It receives its name from the English, Small Office, Home Office (small office, home office) larger than the all in one and that has a higher printing average. This is determined by the acronym PPM (pages per minute).
They can also work with photographic paper without problems and these models come with software to resize the image to be printed inside the paper.
Office MFPs: These are larger than SOHO printers, with more features like managing encrypted documents, running external programs, and more.
They are foot units designed for constant work and a very high PPM rate. Ideal for a business that requires printing large volumes of documents.
Production printers: Although these are more expensive than all the previous ones and lack wireless connectivity or document management features, their focus is on high-quality, high-speed printing.
They can have multiple trays to simultaneously print multiple documents with more advanced layout options. Most include a scanner, but it is not usually used. Great for heavy-duty.
Benefits of a multifunction printer
Although the cost of a professional multifunction printer is high, consider it an investment in the future thanks to its benefits:
- They centralize work by integrating all the functions you need in the office. You will not need external services or buy other equipment such as scanners or copiers.
- They save energy: In addition to their eco-friendly functions, having everything in one place means less electricity consumption, which you will appreciate on your next electricity bill.
- Cloud printing: The most modern models are capable of using the WiFi network to dispense with cables, organizing and printing each order without errors or obstacles.
- Multiple models: In addition to their types, you can switch between inkjet or laser, each with its own individual advantages already mentioned.
- They take up little space: Compared to copiers, these printers are perfect for minimalist offices
- Comfortable: Having more functions in the same device not only saves time but also allows you to work more efficiently and quickly.
Now that you know the different types of multifunction printers and their advantages, this equipment will increase your productivity and profitability from the first day one hundred percent guaranteed. So… Which one best suits your business needs?