Instagram often limits its users from liking, commenting, posting stories, and much other stuff that you regularly do on Instagram.
This may feel annoying when you face such situations where Instagram restricts your actions from happening. You would see an error message while you try to do that from your account saying ‘We limit how often you can do certain things on Instagram to protect our community. Tell us if you think we made a mistake.‘
Instagram often restricts its users from liking, commenting, posting stories, and much more than you do on Instagram regularly. It can be annoying when you face situations where Instagram prevents your actions from happening. You’ll see an error message when you try to do this from your account ‘We limit the number of times you can do certain things on Instagram to protect our community.
You can fix these things and it is possible if you know why it happened and for that you need to know the limits of following, following, posting, liking, and commenting. Now if you just exceed the limit then you will face this kind of problem in your account. I’ve looked at a lot of the nuances on Instagram and found just a few things that actually hinder your action on Instagram and one line that does something more on Instagram.
What does the “We Limit How Often You Can Do Certain Things on Instagram” error mean?
As an Instagram user, you may face many limits ordered on Instagram’s likes, following, tags, and many other options. For example, you may face that you can not share a post on your Instagram story. We believe that if you be informed about these limitations, you could solve them more easily.
Here, we gathered information about these Instagram limitations. Remember that social media platform limitations depend on several factors like your account engagement. These different determinants perform a significant role in defining how restricted your activities on the program are.
For instance, if you start a new account and like too many posts, it might raise suspicions. In this situation, the Instagram algorithm might understand these acts like a bot. Finally, it might limit your actions on the program.
What causes Instagram to limit your account?
The error is completely different from the Instagram action blocking error and to fix the limit error you need to know the reasons behind this problem. This error prevents users from scrolling through their feeds and using Instagram for socialization and networking through their accounts.
- Instagram wants to prevent spam: If you are doing things in mass like commenting, liking posts, following, or following people in bulk then Instagram might catch you pretending your account is a bot and in order to prevent that they limit the uses per user.
- Your account has a low trust score: The algorithm of Instagram is designed in such a way that performing any action heavily leads to an action block of the account. Action block reduces your engagement on the app which is considered spam.
Various Instagram Limitations
While some major limitations, such as posting forbidden content and character limit, is the same for all users, the likes/comments/ following limitations can vary for different accounts.
Following are some of the factors that determine the limitations:
- How old is your account? New accounts have a higher limit than the old ones.
- The number of accounts that you follow as well as those that follow you.
- The average engagement and activity of your account; accounts with higher engagement are allowed more activities.
With these factors in mind, we’ll give you a general idea of the limitations that are valid for an average Instagram account user below.
- Posting or Sharing Forbidden Content Limitation: Instagram has strict rules and regulations for all its users, just like most social media platforms when it comes to forbidden content. Following is the list of the kind of content you should never post or share on this platform:
- Hate speech
- Intense or violent videos
- Encouraging violence or self-injury
- Sexual content
- Buying or selling alcohol, tobacco, or firearm
- Buying or selling live animals
- Threats of vandalism, financial, or physical harm
- Blackmail or harassment
- Illegal prescription drugs
- Online gambling
- Following/Unfollowing Limitation: The daily limit of following and unfollowing set by the platform is 200 follows/unfollows. So, whether you’re following 200 people in a day altogether or following and unfollowing 100 accounts separately, you will end up hitting the limit. If you’ve made a new Instagram account, you should be even more cautious of this limit, lest you want Instagram to consider your account as spam.
- Liking and Commenting posts Limitation: Instagram has set the liking limit keeping in mind the average likes its users use in a day; the limit is at 1000 likes. So, even if you’re using Instagram 3-4 hours straight, you’re unlikely to reach that limit.When it comes to commenting on posts, all of us can agree that writing too many comments takes a lot of time that we generally don’t have. Keeping that in mind, Instagram has set the commenting limits to 200 comments a day. Moreover, the Instagram AI also views posting the same comment multiple times as suspicious. So, if you’re doing it to win a giveaway, be careful of touching the limit.
- Captions and Comments Character Count Limitation: Instagram is a platform that prioritizes visual content over written ones. Keeping that in mind, it ensures that the users write captions and comments that aren’t considered too long to read.The character count limit on Instagram captions and comments is set at 2200 characters. However, if you think you can more to say, you can always add multiple comments after the caption; many Instagrammers are doing it.
- Sending DM Limitation: Any average Instagrammer’s answer should range between 10-25, right? Well, Instagram allows you to send much more DMs than that; the daily limit of DMs you can send here is 80. However, if your daily direct messages cross 80, the Instagram AI will notice it and might send you a warning. They can also lock you out of your account temporarily.
- Duration of Videos and IGTV Limitation: While Instagram encourages its users to create visual content that’s both static and moving (photos and videos), it must add some limitations to the duration of these contents. Otherwise, the platform would soon start resembling YouTube. Therefore, any video you post on Instagram can only be 60 seconds long, and those in your story can be up to 15 seconds long. Because many Instagrammers were facing issues with such a short length, the platform rolled out two other features: IGTV and Instagram Live. On the IGTV videos, you can upload pre-recorded, edited videos that range between 15 seconds and 10 minutes in length. While on Instagram Live, you can add even an hour-long video, as long as it’s being recorded live. But that’s it, and you cannot add a video on this platform (either pre-recorded or live) that’s longer than 60 minutes.
- Story Limitation: Instagram allows you to do much more than that. The daily story limit of Instagram is 100 stories, which its users rarely cross. However, if you happen to have shared 100 stories today and have more to add, all you need to do is wait for 24 hours after the first story was added. As soon as some of your old stories disappear, you can start adding new ones.
- Tagging in Your Post, Story, or Comments Limitation: The feature of tagging other accounts in your posts or stories was meant to include the people who are present or were taking the pictures/ videos you upload. But some Instagrammers tend to use it to gain popularity, just like hashtags.If you’re one of these, you should know that the maximum number of accounts that you can tag in a particular post or story is 20. In the case of mentioning people in your comments, this limit is even lower: 10 per post/comment.
Also, read How To Make A Public Profile On Snapchat
How Long does Instagram Limit Last?
Normally, the restrictions are removed automatically and this may take up to from 2 hours to 48 hours depending on the trust score of your account. But, in most cases, the account is restored within 24 to 48 hours, and if that does not happen just contact Instagram help.
How to Fix We Limit How Often You Can Do Certain Things on Instagram?
If you’ve been getting the “We Limit How Often You Can Do Certain Things on Instagram” message from Instagram a lot lately, there are a few things you can do to fix it. Here are some possible ways to fix the issue:
- Report to Instagram to Fix this Error: Even after following the above two methods, if the error persists, the last and final thing remaining to do is ‘Report a problem‘ to Instagram.
- You can do so by heading towards the ‘Settings‘ of your profile and then tap on ‘Help‘.
- Then tap on the ‘Report a Problem‘ option there.
- Here explain in brief the error you are facing and then add a screenshot of the same.
- Once you are done, just submit.
The issue will surely be resolved by the Instagram support team.
2. Change Your Account’s Password: If you’ve been liking random posts on Instagram all day and have managed to cross the limit somehow, you can rest assured that any further action from your account will be suspended for at least 24 hours.
In such cases, many users have reported that changing the password of their account has proven to be useful. When you log into your account with a new password, you might find that your daily limitation has been renewed. If you want to try it out for your account, follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings option on your profile.
- You’ll find a Security option there. Click on it, and you’ll find multiple options.
- From the Login Security section, choose the first option that reads Password.
- You’ll be directed to a different page, where you will need to add your current password and then enter and re-enter the new password you want to set.
By filling in both your current and new passwords, you’ll be logged out of your account. And when you log in again, you might be able to use all features without any restrictions.
However, keep in mind that changing your password might or might not help you get rid of your limitations. In case it doesn’t help, you should simply wait for 24 hours to renew your limitations.
3. Apply for an Instagram Automation Device: While automation devices do not support you to overcome regular limits placed on activities you can take out on Instagram, they will guide you to manage your time more efficiently. They also assure you linger within the regular limits and do not make your account swung.
Many Instagram automation devices present direct messaging, comments control, Instagram post programming, likes, and more options. Instagram automation devices consider the set limits and hold to the limit with light energy from your view.
4. Create a Backup Account: If you’re facing issues with the limitations set by Instagram constantly, it’s perhaps because you’re an active content creator with plenty to share on the platform. And in that case, the best alternative for you is to create two different accounts instead of one.
Doing this will not only make working within the limitations easier but will also help to maintain different aspects of your life/content creation. For instance, if you’re a fashion influencer, you can have a personal, mother profile and a separate profile where you only post fashion-related content.
5. Evade Repetitious Hashtags: Most Instagram users do not know that if they resist using the identical hashtag on most of their posts, this could signal mistrust with the Instagram algorithm and get their accounts excluded. In this situation, Instagram involves your account with bots that usually use identical hashtags automatically.
This blockade can last up to an hour or 48 hours or less, the worst being permanently blocked. The system considers following and following the masses, liking multiple posts at once, all of these actions are considered a spam action. To keep Instagram and its users safe. And as a result, your account is being blocked.